Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Good Taste


Mostly for Australians, this. Vegemite and Aeroplane brand jelly. Thank you to Jenny. I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that there is now a Vegemite flavored Aeroplane jelly? I have never taken the opportunity to try Vegemite (or its disgsting-tasting British cousin Marmite) but I'm sure I would like Aeroplane jelly. With ice cream. Especially Ice cream which contains an emulsifier to make it creamy smooth discovered by a research chemist in the early 1950s by the name of Margaret Roberts. Yes, the same one who later married a guy named Denis and changed her last name.

Here we call your jelly "gelatin" and the leading ready-mix brand is "Jell-O." There nothing like a quivering square of lime Jell-O (with some curled up carrot slivers trapped inside) next to your tepid tomato soup at the homeless shelter on a Saturday night. At least according to the amazingly descriptive Hunter. Though Canadian, I'm sure she also wouldn't be caught dead with a spoon of Marmite stuck in her mouth. But you never know.

Someone said they like to smear a dab of Vegemite on their crisps. Does that thought make the American stomach churn or what? I'm guessing not Coco Crisps.

I used to think jelly (American) was just "preserves" with the seeds strained out. Now I understand it is really made out of the juice and a thickener (pectin?) and there were no seeds to begin with. That leaves "preserves" and "Jam" (American usage.) I know preserves have seeds in them. Jam? Seeds too, I think. Must be some difference.

This is pure memory and conjecture, not looking anything up.

Showing age: "I like bread and butter, I like toast and jam, that's what my baby feeds me, I'm her lovin' man.

Question: When he came home early one morning, much to his surprise, what did he find her eating with some other guy?


7 comments:

  1. To think the mad Baroness has been plaguing me ever since childhood. Oh the horror! I think I need an Ice Cream now, non smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only a rumor. Perhaps a campaign lie. Perhaps she only swept up the lab at night.

      Delete
  2. Ah well see, there's your problem. Marmite is never, ever supposed to be eaten by the spoonful. At best, it should be scraped over a slice of buttered toast, leaving just a hint of the salty (delicious) flavour. I reckon everyone who hates Marmite is actually just doing it all wrong. Can't vouch for Vegemite though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Marmite tastes like anchovies. I forgo. I deny myself.

      Delete
    2. Marmite tastes like Marmite, Vegemite is smoother and less bitter.d

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention of my blog! :) NO thanks for the gross idea of Vegemite flavoured Aeroplane Jelly. My husband was once working for a few months in a country where they knew nothing of Marmite or English preserves. WHen his car broke down one day he settled down for a long wait till it was rescued, and asked his servant (yes it was that kind of place) to go back home (about 15 mins walk away) and get him some food. "I'll have sandwiches," he said. "Oh, um, give me Marmite, and marmalade." And that is what he got. And he was so hungry that he ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that's another thing to blame Thatcher for!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails