Monday, August 15, 2011

Some British sports stadia with corporate sponsor names


For some time now it has become the fashion to sell advertising on city-owned* property in order to generate some revenue for these services and facilities so that the area taxpayers don't have to foot the bill. This is especially true of sports arenas which cost millions and millions of pounds to construct, maintain, and operate. It is likely several cities would not be able to construct a fancy stadium on their own to rent to various sports franchises, so the big bucks from corporate sponsors are a godsend to these cities who also reap tax revenue from the money the fans spend at games and shopping. Be sure to salute the corporate sponsor of your favorite football or cricket or rugby major league team the next time you pass by the stadium or attend a game. It's your tax dollars that are being saved!



*Not all stadia are owned their cities or counties, of course, though it is almost always the case in the U.S. now.

6 comments:

  1. Strange really, some of the new names catch on better than others, maybe depending on how well known the older name was.

    I never hear about the Ricoh Stadium, but then I never hear about Coventry. On the other hand, the Emirates Stadium is well established as a name.

    But The Kia Oval? Never. Why would anyone want to call a cricket stadium after orange squash anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because they drink orange juice at half time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad idea. The ground and its name belong to the club. The club loses something when it sells out like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Huddersfield, some 20 miles from my home, in 1994, a new sports stadium was built, a venue for all manner of events. It was called the Sir Alfred MacAlpine Stadium. I was just getting used to that name when the radio started talking about "The Galpharm Stadium". Yes, after ten years, MacAlpine's name was ditched for a new sponsorship deal. Only a few years until that's up for grabs too.
    http://www.galpharmstadium.com/pages/stadium-naming-rights.asp
    Leeds United's stadium is known as "Elland Road". Which is its address. Even if they sell the naming rights, I can't see local folk calling it anything different.
    Mind you, in America whole teams are bought and sold and relocated, like commodities, or trinkets for very rich men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there. I know its been a while since I visited. But I happened to check in today, and this post reminded me of something I read in Sports Illustrated (not my usual reading material, but someone passed it on to me) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1187583/index.htm
    Thought, you might apreciate as it has some references to english traditions. (even though I know you dislike it when I share other peoples opinions and not my own.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all. I got so engrossed in reading your observations I would only demean your comments by trying to add to them. I do think it was better in the old days (older than I by far) where, if a man and some investors wanted to start up a team, they had to put up their own money to pay the players and rent some place for them to play. Nowadays, the New York Yankees or other top teams threaten their cities with moving if they taxpayers don't build them a new stadium. You know what? Modern pro sports and salaries and ticket prices are starting to suck.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails