Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sweet and Low

SWEET AND LOW

Sweet and low, sweet and low,

Wind of the western sea,

Low, low, breathe and blow,

Wind of the western sea!

Over the rolling waters go,

Come from the dying moon and blow,

Blow him again to me;

While my little one, while my pretty one, sleeps.

Sleep and rest, sleep and rest,

Father will come to thee soon,

Rest, rest, on mother's breast,

Father will come to thee soon;

Father will come to his babe in the nest,

Silver sails all out of the west

Under the silver moon;

Sleep my little one, sleep my pretty one, sleep.

-- ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON

---------

Barnes Readers, Illustrations by Mabel D. Hill, copyright 1916 and thus now in the public domain. The works of Lord Tennyson are in the public domain.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! To my eye the illustrations are so much better than almost anything you can find these days. Lullabies are pretty much a thing of the past too.

    Thank you for brightening my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog.

    You might enjoy an older blog post of mine about Prince Charles :)

    http://getnickt.blogspot.com/2010/07/charles-in-charge.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails